The Agricultural Sector is mandated to carry out the following:
- Formulation of policies on agriculture to promote agricultural productivity growth, improved nutritional outcomes and enhanced livelihoods;
- Advising government on matters relating to agricultural development;
- Provision of support to private sectors in agriculture;
- Provision of extension support services to farmers through the State Agricultural Development Programme (ADP);
- Support in areas of land clearing and development, soil and water conservation;
- Conservation of land and water resources (including maintenance of soil fertility);
- Development and maintenance of farm structures;
- Facilitating provision of agricultural credit to farmers;
- Supporting private sector in fish production and fisheries extension services to farmers;
- Support to farmers in areas of irrigation and drainage of agricultural lands;
- Providing enablement for private sector investment in food preservation, storage and processing;
- Provision of Veterinary Support Services to farmers in areas of clinic and extension services; vet public health, vet investigation and training; vet epidemiology and statistics/prevention and control;
- Promotion of food, fibre, horticultural and cash crop production;
- Supervision of the Agricultural Agencies and Parastatals of Government (including Enugu State Agricultural Development Programme) (ENADEP);
- Coordination of all State’s Agricultural projects;
- Collaboration with Federal Government, Bilateral and Funding Agencies on other State Governments and all external matters relating to agricultural development;
- Promotion of programmes generally aimed at achieving higher income for farmers and improving their standard of living.
- Encouraging agriculture as a commercial venture.
To grow the agriculture sector in Enugu State into an industrialized economy through an efficient, dynamic, competitive, sustainable and export-led agriculture that assures food security, increased income generation and employment.
To facilitate and promote, the sustainable development of our agriculture to enhance the quality of life, ensuring a safe, affordable nutrition and accessible food supply to reduce hunger.